Inspired by my farmers market, Cole's choices and this recipe, I made a salad for my client last night (and our family, which happens often) and am eating the rest of it today and wondering where kohlrabi has been all my life! So I NEVER forget this recipe, I'm posting now. I sliced my vegetables and apples VERY thin for presentation sake but by all means, make it a slaw - it's refreshing and wonderful!
3 medium bulbs kohlrabi
1 granny smith apple
1 pink lady apple
1/4 cup craisins
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
2 carrots, shredded (I used the rainbow variety for added color)
1/4 cup evoo
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 2 lemons
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Combine the dressing ingredients and either mix with a hand blender or whisk together in a small jar and set aside.
2. Remove the stems and greens from the kohlrabi and peel away the tough outer green skin. The remaining vegetable should be white. Slice 1/8" - 1/4" thin.
3. Halve apples from top to bottom, remove seeds and slice 1/8" - 1/4" thin.
4. Toss vegetables with the dressing to prevent browning.
5. For presentation, I alternated the kohlrabi with the green and red apple on a platter. Top with shredded carrot, craisins & sunflower seeds, pour remaining dressing over the salad and let sit at least 15-20 mn before serving. This is infinitely better the next day although not as pretty.